Thursday, August 1, 2024

Coffee and Conversation: Taco Bell looks to expand use of AI

 



The Taco Bell chain is known for being nimble in its marketing and innovations so its plans to expand its use of AI at its drive-thru operations seems to be a good fit. However, I admit to being skeptical about the reasons the company offers for the move.

I don't frequent fast food outlets much anymore, but I had an interesting experience during my last visit to Taco Bell, about a year and half ago. I was attending a workshop and stopped at Taco Bell, the nearest outlet, during the lunch break. It was a short distance from the meeting location, so I opted to walk rather than drive.

Inside I discovered there was no counter help, no one to greet me or take my order. Instead, there was a kiosk with a display screen, smudged with greasy fingerprints. I used one of the few remaining sanitary wipes to clean the screen and then fumbled my way through placing what I considered to be a simple order.

It took longer than probably necessary. A younger customer could have completed the transaction faster, I thought, but a younger customer probably would have used the drive-thru option. As simple as my order was, I was proud to have successfully placed it, but was annoyed when the device asked me if I wished to add a gratuity to my total purchase. I had yet to see a single employee and couldn't imagine who would have received my tip.

So anyway, I placed my order, the device printed out a receipt that included an order number and instructions to wait for the number to be called. Although I had seen several cars lined up in the drive-thru lane, I was the only customer inside the store. I distracted myself with my smart phone, and a couple of minutes later heard a voice call out the number that was on my receipt.

I looked up and a tray of food was sitting on the counter. I didn't know how it got there. I hadn't seen an employee. No employee stood behind the counter to thank me for selecting Taco Bell for my mid-day meal. I heard what I assumed were people moving around behind a closed door, which I assumed concealed the kitchen area and access to the drive-thru window, but I never actually saw these things.

The food was OK, as fast food goes. I recalled that experience as I read that Taco Bell plans to expand its use of AI. We might be living in the "Brave New World" Aldous Huxley warned us about, but I'm beginning to suspect it's not all that new. 

-- Thank you for reading. Feel free to leave a comment or question here, or send an email to kbotterman@gmail.com. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment